Quartz Rocks
Another shower.
Re: Is this tile OK?
Search

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#12784 - 09/30/08 11:38 PM Kerdi over Denshield
jac Offline

Hi all, I am new to this forum and need some help. I am putting in a shower in my basement and have a couple of questions.
1. The contractor the did the framinig and drywall installed Densheild in the shower. Can i install Kerdi overtop of denses sheild.
2. What is the standard height of a shower curb. I only have two 2x4 laying flat and most of the pictures show three.
3. I will be building a mud base on a concreate floor. At what height should the drain sit above the floor. The floor presently has no slope in the shower as it has been level with self levinging cement.

Thamks

#12785 - 10/01/08 08:25 AM Re: Kerdi over Denshield [Re: jac]
RC Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
DensShield can not be embeded in the drypack base unless your using the full Kerdi system (Kerdi Drain & membrane).

The curb needs to be minimum three 2bys laying flat.

The Kerdi drain should sit about 1-1/4" off the concrete measured at the outer edge of the Kerdi flange.

There's no need to install Kerdi over the DensShield but the seams and fastner heads should be waterproofed with a liquid type membrane.

If you do put Kerdi over the Dens make sure you use a really good unmodified thinset to install it.

#12798 - 10/03/08 09:12 PM Re: Kerdi over Denshield [Re: RC]
jac Offline

Randall, thanks for all the information and I think I understand what I can do but still have a couple of questions in (brackets) and want to make sure I am correct?

1. Keep Denshield on walls and mesh tape Denshield joints and use thinset to finish (Do I use the same unmodified thinset as I would to put the Kerdi on the Drypack?)(The fasteners have not been countersunk, as my contractor said GP does not recommend. Do I need to thinset over them prior to the liquid water proofing stage?)
2. Build a shower bench out of block and mortar as per this site( Can I build against the Denshield?)
3. Wire lath curb and build out of mortar from bench
4. Set the Kerdi drain at 1-1/4" off concrete
5. Drypack base with 1/4" slope per foot
6. Let set up for at least 48 hours (more or less time?)
7. Kerdi the drypack, bench, curb and wrap up the walls 6"(Not sure how much I should wrap onto the Denshield?)(What unmodified thinset do you recommend?)
8. Use a liquid waterproofing on all Denshield joints and fastener heads (what brand of liquid water proofing do you recommend?)(Do I apply liquid water proofing to the Kerdi\Denshield seams)
9. Then I should be ready to tile (I think?)

Thanks for all the answers so far and sorry for all the new question. Just want to make sure I do it right.

#12799 - 10/04/08 10:57 AM Re: Kerdi over Denshield [Re: jac]
RC Offline

1.You can use modified or unmodified to mesh tape. Do not sink the screws below the vinyl surface.
2.Yes
3.Yes
4.Yes
5.Yes
6.24hrs is usually enough, depending on temperature and humidity
7.6" is ok. I prefer Mapei Kerabond for unmodified, but that has more to do with what is readily available in your local area.
8.You could use RedGard, Laticrete Hydroban or Kiesel Okamul DF. Again it depends on what you can get in your area.
9.Get at it!

#12800 - 10/04/08 11:41 AM Re: Kerdi over Denshield [Re: RC]
jac Offline

Randall, thank so much. I not sure if you guys really understand how nice it is for a newbie to be able to have a sounding board to make sure we are headed in the right direction, so just want to tell you it is really appreciated. I will be starting next weekend and most likely will have some more questions. I presume if my questions are around the structure I keep using this post, but when I get to the tile do I start a new post.?

Jac

#12801 - 10/04/08 11:48 AM Re: Kerdi over Denshield [Re: jac]
RC Offline

No, do not start a new post unless your doing a totally different project.

Thanks for the appreciation.

Post some photos if you like and maybe even enter the contest.

#12802 - 10/04/08 05:22 PM Re: Kerdi over Denshield [Re: RC]
Kman Offline

Loc: Pea Ridge, Arkansas
RC, a quick question regarding jac's post, as I haven't heard of it done this way before: Is a single layer of Kerdi rolling up the wall considered waterproof at the top edge? For some reason I thought it would only be waterproof if it overlapped another piece of Kerdi by two inches.

I could see this method being effective if he were using liquid waterproofing over the entire walls and covering the top edge of the Kerdi, but in this particular case he's only covering seams and fasteners.

#12806 - 10/05/08 08:29 AM Re: Kerdi over Denshield [Re: Kman]
RC Offline

It's basically the same effect. Dens is waterproof and Kerdi is waterproof.As long as you have a minimum 2" of overlap bonded by thinset then water will not penetrate the entire overlap.

Same as it doesn't matter if Kerdi is installed in a non shingle type overlap. The nature of the physics of water does not allow it to run all the way thru the seam.

If your doubtfull, just brush on some liguid waterproofing along the top edge.

All other seams,corners and screw heads are coated with a liquid membrane.

Even DensShield doesn't require that level of waterproofing to receive a lifetime residential warranty.

#12841 - 10/11/08 07:20 PM Re: Kerdi over Denshield [Re: RC]
jac Offline

Me again, thing are progressing, mud pan and Kerdi drain are done. Just a quick question regarding timing, as I now have to wait about three weeks for the shower tiles to get here. Does it matter how long the Kerdi is on the floor before I tile. Most of the post here have the tile going on the next day it seems, and I just wondering if I should wait for the tile to arrive before I Kerdi or can it stay on for a couple of weeks.

Jac

#12842 - 10/11/08 10:00 PM Re: Kerdi over Denshield [Re: jac]
RC Offline

Kerdi can stay uncovered indefinitely. When you do get to tiling, you need to protect the floor if you start working on the walls first.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
alexe ellen, rosemary, mgill, wazy, jaros
3701 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
Where do I begin... 167855
Tiling over tub on exterior wall 141628
Kerdi Board 106567
Help with preslope!! 68172
Installing Nu Heat on Cement Slab 56080
New here, new to tile, and i have a new project. 46051
Kerdi over Denshield 41265
slate tile on heated floor 35125
Building a Curved Curb - any advice? 32898
Ted's Shower 32453
Forum Stats
3701 Members
16 Forums
3571 Topics
17750 Posts

Max Online: 556 @ 05/14/12 10:04 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 166 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RSS Feed
Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Home    Forum     Technical Info     Our Service     Photo Gallery     Installation    Contact Us    Privacy     Links    Books