Another shower.
Re: Is this tile OK?
Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#16073 - 07/16/10 06:28 PM kerdi and red guard
satch Offline

I saw a previous thread regarding hybrid waterproofing. This makes sense for certain applications. Noticed no one used red guard when it came to liquid coatings. I have used it for shower pans with fabric in the past. Is it an inferior product? Also would like to know if redguard or another liquid membrane is compatible with kerdi fabric in order to keep a seal when transitioning from kerdi to redguard.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#16074 - 07/17/10 12:40 AM Re: kerdi and red guard [Re: satch]
Kman Offline

Loc: Pea Ridge, Arkansas
None of the manufacturer's are going to "officially" sanction a hybrid waterproofing method. I've used Redgard in conjunction with Kerdi a few times, and I hear of Hydroban being used as well. I know Harry has been using Kerdi on the floor and up the wall a couple of inches, then liquid up the walls, but I don't know what liquid he uses.

#16075 - 07/17/10 10:25 AM Re: kerdi and red guard [Re: Kman]
satch Offline

Originally Posted By: Kman
I've used Redgard in conjunction with Kerdi a few times, and I hear of Hydroban being used as well.

So you just lap the redguard/fabric membrane a couple of inches over the kerdi at the transition,and redguard has no trouble adhering to kerdi fabric?

I called Custom and asked if I could use a kerdi drain with a redguard/mesh membrane (I was concerned the redguard might not stick to the poly mesh area on the kerdi drain)and they said redguard would stick to anything that mortar would stick to. But, you are not supposed to use acrylic adhesives with redguard, and they both stick to mortar, that's why I'm searching for more compatibility info from those in the field who have actually tried this.

#16076 - 07/17/10 01:46 PM Re: kerdi and red guard [Re: satch]
Kman Offline

Loc: Pea Ridge, Arkansas
If I was going to employ a hybrid method to use on a regular basis, I would probably go with Laticrete Hydroban. I know for a fact that it has been used many times with the Kerdi drain with great success. It's a little more pricey, but according to those who have used it, it's well worth the money.

#16086 - 07/21/10 10:20 PM Re: kerdi and red guard [Re: Kman]
J&D Tile Offline

Loc: London, ON
I have used Hydroban with a Kerdi Drain a number of times and it works great. What's nice about it is that there is no need for a pan liner. You attach your Kerdi Drain first. It seems like it's in the wind, sticking up in the air, but that will determine your level line for your dry-pack. Then you fill it in with your dry-pack using the drain as a centre and determining your slope with a screed board out from the flange of your drain. Just make sure you fill in under the flange for support. Then you let it cure for 72 hours (as prescribed by Laticrete), and Hydroban the top and up the walls to waterproof the surface. The water has no where to go but down the drain.

I have also used it with the Kerdi membrane, but I put the Kerdi over top of the Hydroban so that I have confidence in the bond between the Hydroban and the thin-set and then the thin-set to the Kerdi. If I'm waterproofing the walls, I'll just run the Hydroban up the wall instead of going through the hastle of changing materials and processses, but where this is handy is in the corners. Some times if the corners aren't as tight at you would like you will get bubbles or pin-holes in your Hydroban, even after two coats. There is a fabric that you can use with the Hydroban for the corners, but you can't always find it. This is when I will run Kerdi or Kerdi Band in the corners just to be sure. Kerdi corners come with your Kerdi Drain, so you can use them for the corners in the base then just tape around the floor and a little up the wall with Kerdi for peace of mind, as a last step before you put in your tile.

You may already know this, but I'll remind you just in case - when putting your Kerdi Band or strips of Kerdi around the outside of your shower base, put the pre-fab corners in first. If you put the band in first you'll never get the corners in tight and you'll be cursing when you're putting in the tile.

#16101 - 07/26/10 12:13 AM Re: kerdi and red guard [Re: J&D Tile]
Rob Z Offline

Loc: Loudoun County, VA USA
I have used Laticrete liquid waterproofers in conjunction with Kerdi, but always skimmed the surface with thinset first so the laticrete liquid would have something to bond to. It might have worked straight over the Kerdi fabric, but I wasn't confident about that.

I don't think RG is an inferior product, but I don't think it is on the same level of performance as Laticrete Hydroban or Laticrete 9235.

#16106 - 07/26/10 08:14 PM Re: kerdi and red guard [Re: Rob Z]
J&D Tile Offline

Loc: London, ON
I wouldn't apply the HydroBan directly over the Kerdi either. That's why I would do the HydroBan first, then Kerdi over top. If I were to try to put the Kerdi over top, I would definately give the Kerdi a scratch coat first. I just can't see the HydroBan bonding properly to the surface of the Kerdi.

#16145 - 08/16/10 10:22 PM Re: kerdi and red guard [Re: J&D Tile]
pistolpete Offline

Loc: Williams Lake B.C.
I use they hybrid method with schluter drain and Mapei Aquadefence. It dries really fast, so second coat is good to go in an hour. In the corners I put in the pre fab kerdi and then water proof right over top. I think the concerns with bonding are unfounded. I have tried and can't peel the Aquadefence off the kerdi. it takes some practice getting good with liquid membranes, but once you have a system going it's fast and easy.

I use paint brushes and epoxy rollers to apply the stuff and reinforce corners with fiberglass fabric.

#16178 - 09/01/10 05:27 PM Re: kerdi and red guard [Re: pistolpete]
Bri Offline

Loc: ontario, canada
Same here....the waterproofing sticks to the fleece better than the mortar does. I'll paint the seams of the kerdi just to give it a double whammy of waterproofing. No way water is getting into the seam that way.

#16402 - 11/27/10 09:17 PM Re: kerdi and red guard [Re: Bri]
snowtires Offline

At the transition of Kerdi to Redguard you could run a bead of Kerdi Fix behind the kerdi on top of the Redguard. That stuff sticks anything to anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
mii, alexe ellen, rosemary, mgill, wazy
3702 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
Where do I begin... 168784
Tiling over tub on exterior wall 143249
Kerdi Board 106990
Help with preslope!! 68383
Installing Nu Heat on Cement Slab 56240
New here, new to tile, and i have a new project. 46240
Kerdi over Denshield 41494
slate tile on heated floor 35449
Building a Curved Curb - any advice? 33048
Ted's Shower 32640
Forum Stats
3702 Members
16 Forums
3572 Topics
17754 Posts

Max Online: 556 @ 05/14/12 10:04 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RSS Feed
Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Home    Forum     Technical Info     Our Service     Photo Gallery     Installation    Contact Us    Privacy     Links    Books