Another shower.
Re: Is this tile OK?
Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16364 - 11/23/10 09:00 PM Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler
PaoloM Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm putting in a 8x8 Walk-in Cooler (not freezer) inside my shop and I want to tile the floor. The floor had carpet on concrete slab but I ripped out the carpet and all that is left is a bit of the glue from the carpet, not much. I want a tile that isn't going to cause issues...what material would you recommend? Is the glue going to cause a problem...do I need to remove it? For this application would it be better to put a tile underlayment such as Ditra, Kerdi, etc. Any recommendations for this application would be much appreciated! Thanks

Paul

#16366 - 11/23/10 10:37 PM Re: Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler [Re: PaoloM]
RC Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
What temperature will the cooler be set at?

Sounds like your building a wine cellar?

You will need to remove all the existing adhesive residue.

To be safe I would look for a frost resistant porcelain tile even though it's not likely going to get wet.

You could use Ditra if you like. Kerdi is not meant for floor applications.

#16371 - 11/24/10 07:55 PM Re: Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler [Re: RC]
pistolpete Offline

Loc: Williams Lake B.C.
Last time I did a walk in cooler for a dairy queen, we put 2 inch rigid insulation down on the floor, then 3/4 inch fir plywood, then paint on waterproofing and then porcelain tile. However, that was on an existing plywood floor.

#16372 - 11/24/10 08:44 PM Re: Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler [Re: pistolpete]
J&D Tile Offline

Loc: London, ON
Personally, as long as your concrete is solid with no cracks and the surface is in good shape, I wouldn't waste the time or money on Ditra. You will never get a more suitable surface for tile than solid concrete.

Randall is right, you need to get that glue off. If you have problems getting all of the residue off then you can try some cut-back adhesive remover or give it a nice scratch coat. I would also reecommend choosing a tile and a thin set that are freese/thaw stable - just to be safe.

Another thing to think about is the grout. In most of the walk-in coolers that I've seen with tile floors, the grout always seems to get dirty and stained. I would suggest either a few coats of grout sealer or a stain resistant additive for your grout.

#16374 - 11/25/10 02:24 AM Re: Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler [Re: J&D Tile]
Kman Offline

Loc: Pea Ridge, Arkansas
Epoxy would be a good grout for that situation.

#16375 - 11/25/10 09:05 AM Re: Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler [Re: Kman]
PaoloM Offline

The concrete surface is solid, there is one 1/8" crack accross the room but that's it and the building is about 15 years old. That crack is not going to be inside the cooler room. Temperature will probably between 5-10 deg Celcius. This is going to be a Stainless Steel cooler for meat.

I think I'm going to install Ditra for sure. In order to removed the glue do I just rent a sander and use an aggressive grit to remove it? The cooler is only 8x8 but I have to do about 800 sq/ft as I want to tile the rest of the area too.

I figure if I sand a little and then use the Mapei mortar that will stick to cut-back I should be ok. Will that type of mortar be ok to lay the Ditra?

Thanks!

#16376 - 11/25/10 11:09 AM Re: Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler [Re: PaoloM]
J&D Tile Offline

Loc: London, ON
Kman is absolutely right about the epoxy grout. It can just be hard to work with, particularly for a DIYer - and they're expensive. If you do look at epoxy grouts, I would look at the Laticrete ones because they have a couple that are more user friendly. Felxtile has a urathane based grout that you may want to look at as well. It's easier to work with than the epoxy, but also is expensive.

The Ditra on the cooler floor is your choice. It will never do any harm and if the extra $200.00 gives you peace of mind then go for it. Just remember, if you Ditra the cooler and the tile is to extend throughout the rest of the floor, you may be looking at a height difference. You will either need to put a transition in the doorway of the cooler or Ditra the whole thing. If you're confident that your Mapei thin-set will bond to the residual glue, then that's what you use to put the Ditra down. One bag should do you. Ask the Mapei dealer how clean the floor has to be. He will know the performance of the product that you have chosen. If you're not worried about freeze/thaw, then on top of the Ditra you can use the unmodified mix as suggested by Schluter. If the rest of the floor is bare concrete, you can do the rest of it with the unmodified mix as well.

#16377 - 11/25/10 08:52 PM Re: Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler [Re: J&D Tile]
pistolpete Offline

Loc: Williams Lake B.C.
Mapei approves Ultraflex 3 over cutback residue. I have used it in this situation on numerous occasions and have yet to get a callback.

#16381 - 11/26/10 09:36 AM Re: Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler [Re: pistolpete]
PaoloM Offline

Yes the Ultraflex 3 is the one I used a couple years ago on a job where I had to remove vinyl tile and it had the black cutback under.

The problem is the Ultraflex 3 is a modified mortar but Ditra requires a non modified over concrete slab to lay it down. So what do I do? Anyone know if there is a unmodified mortar that can go over cutback? I don't even know the difference between modified and unmodified...I guess that's a entire new topic wink

Paul

#16382 - 11/26/10 09:58 AM Re: Tiling Inside Walk-in Cooler [Re: PaoloM]
PaoloM Offline

I forgot to add ... I'm not worried about the difference in level from inside the cooler to the outside because the cooler will have a bottom plate under the doorway which will be higher than the tiled floor.

I just need to figure out if there is a non-modified mortar that can be used over cutback...if not I will not bother using the Ditra at all. I'm just a little concerned about the crack in the main 2 rooms that shoots across the room from one side to the other. Like I said it's only 1/8" at the thickest.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
alexe ellen, rosemary, mgill, wazy, jaros
3701 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
Where do I begin... 167855
Tiling over tub on exterior wall 141628
Kerdi Board 106567
Help with preslope!! 68172
Installing Nu Heat on Cement Slab 56080
New here, new to tile, and i have a new project. 46051
Kerdi over Denshield 41265
slate tile on heated floor 35125
Building a Curved Curb - any advice? 32898
Ted's Shower 32453
Forum Stats
3701 Members
16 Forums
3571 Topics
17750 Posts

Max Online: 556 @ 05/14/12 10:04 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RSS Feed
Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Home    Forum     Technical Info     Our Service     Photo Gallery     Installation    Contact Us    Privacy     Links    Books